31 January 2023
Easter is just around the corner and the egg-citement is building! Australians love a long weekend and Easter is a favourite, spanning four days to make it our longest official national holiday.
Easter represents an opportunity to enjoy other favourite traditions based around family, friends and, of course, food. From feasts around the family table to exchanging sweet gifts and an excited wait for the Easter bunny, it’s a celebration of love, togetherness and joy.
Easter often coincides with school holidays and last year, market researchers at Roy Morgan predicted over four million Australians were planning a trip away over Easter1.
They also estimated around $1.5 billion would be spent on food and chocolate as 73 per cent of Australians planned to buy Easter food such as hot cross buns, chocolates and Easter eggs. Of these would-be shoppers, around two-thirds (66 per cent) said they would be spending about the same as they did the year before1.
With 71 per cent of Woolworths customers associating Easter with family time2, it’s an unmissable opportunity for brands to be seen, to engage and inspire shoppers at these key moments, and Cartology knows how these customers research, plan and shop for their Easter celebrations.
Whether getting their home ready for visitors or picking up gifts for the family, customers are in action mode in the lead up to Easter. In fact, BIG W experienced a 39 per cent sales lift in the week leading up to Easter 20215.
We know customers are browsing online for inspiration and that digital is the front door to the Easter shopping journey, with a 38 per cent year on year increase in visits to Woolworths.com.au and 78 per cent increase on searches on Woolworths.com.au (web and app)3.
We also know customers are looking for new ways to make their Easter feasting and gifting egg-stra special, with 69 per cent planning ahead4, and two in five actively searching for new products and meal ideas4.
With one in three customers planning their grocery shop two to three days in advance, retail media helps brands meet Easter customers on the connected customer journey, as customers actively browse, search and discover both online and offline.
2. Source: Consumer Pulse April 2022 Base: Those who celebrate Easter n=576
3. Source: Woolworths Transaction Data 2022 Easter Period: 30/03/2022-19/04/2022 vs. 2021 Easter Period (YoY): 17/03/2021-06/04/2021; Adobe Analytics 30/03/2022-19/04/2022 vs. 2021 Easter Period (YoY): 17/03/2021-06/04/2021 Web + App
4. Source: Cartology Easter Study 2021. Q.How far in advance do you tend to plan your meals over the Easter weekend? n= 1000;
5. Source: BIG W Transaction Data w/e 09/03/2022 - w/e 20/04/2022
6. Woolworths Group Full Year Results Presentation 2022